Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wednesday In The Library: Newspapers



            Morning, I think my sleeping pattern is back to normal for the most part. And feeling pretty good about it. I’m going to wait to start working at my desk till after the concert, but might start the reading part later today. I am both excited and nervous about the concert tomorrow. After all it is my first concert and I am meeting the band as well. I’m on my way to finishing the Math Paper today. Took me a while to get my research done but it all seems in line now. I also steps yesterday to work on getting groups I work in back on track. I feel bad for letting them lapse but we all got busy, but now it is time to get back on track. I’m also getting into a daily routine I just need to adjust my schedule to reflect it. For one thing I am getting back into writing more, especially when I am at my desk. Plus I am reading the newspaper more as well as listening to it on iTunes. Both different titles, but still giving me information about what goes on in the world and fairly centered from what I have seen.
            And newspapers are what we are discussing today in the library. I’ve read the newspaper in one form of another since I was about 10. Usually in the morning before school or right when I got home from school over a snack I would sneak. It was taught to me early on that it was important to read the newspaper as well as follow the news in general. I read The Washington Post and listen to The New York Times now. But if The Portland Press Herald was on Kindle I would read that instead. I prefer reading the newspaper digitally because it saves paper in my opinion. But everyone has their own preferred method. And it is important to read the news to get deeper into stories that appear on the news when they are first breaking. Plus to find out more about the world around you locally and some stories that don’t make televised news.
            Along with things like comics, book reviews, advice columns, and more. The newspaper gives us insight into things that might only get a blurb on televised news. As well as more good news than you tend to see on the televised news. Plus it strengthens our reading ability and vocabulary. Plus most articles flow smoothly as well. It’s like an all in daily reading in some cases, especially on Sundays. And it is not a long read normally. Maybe an hour at most for most people. And most people usually have a favorite part of the paper as well.
            I remember when you used to get the paper twice a day and even when it originally dropped down to once a day which it has done now. I also have seen the birth of the weekly free papers around me as well, which in themselves are interesting as well. And work well for small communities where only the local news is reported. I read some of these here and there in waiting rooms and on the bus now and then. It gives me different perspectives to reflect on. And it has given me certain columns I want to write in as well in the local paper.
            I hope you have enjoyed today’s visit to the library. Feel free to leave comments about your newspaper reading or your memories about newspapers below. For now I am going to get back to work on my Math Paper after I read The Washington Post for the day. *Tips his hat and walks out the door headed for the study.*

No comments:

Post a Comment