Sunday, July 5, 2015

Spiritual Sunday: Marriage



            So I meant to post this last week but the day got away from me. I’m up early today and back in the groove of things. I’m feeling pretty good. Going to finish a late assignment after this. Hopefully still have a B sealed up for this class. And last week was the groundbreaking Supreme Court ruling on marriage was the reason I was going to post this. Since it seemed the relevant time to talk about my spiritual belief on marriage. And it still is since I was just reading about marriage in my Wicca studies this weekend. I’m sure not everyone will agree with me, but I am open to discussion on the topic as well.
            And to be clear these are my own personal views on marriage. And how I interpret the universe’s will on the subject. I just don’t want anyone thinking I am speaking for anyone other than myself. For me I think that as long as two people love each other they should be allowed to get married. It just seems plain and simple to me. I mean the higher powers made them love each other and made them as they are. So who are we to argue with that? Are we going to tell the higher powers that they were wrong? We are talking about a force that can zap us off the face of the planet here.
            We are also talking about a force that has consistently preached to all of humanity to have love for one another. As well as respect for life. And to help the poor. All of which we don’t do in this world. We are obsessed with greed and being right no matter what. And constantly going to war for one reason or another. We don’t work at marriage like we used to we just dismiss it if we are not happy for one reason or another. Now that is not to say if you are in an abusive marriage or marriage that just can’t be worked out that divorce isn’t an option. But sometimes it seems like divorce it just frivolously done. Or maybe it is just some enter into marriage too lightly.
            Though I think with gay marriage that won’t be the case for a while since they fought so long to get the right to marry. More the problem with marriage is that straight people don’t take it serious enough overall. We get married too easily and for the most part when we aren’t happy enough we just go it’s over and get divorced. Our grandparents and great grandparents didn’t do that. They found a way to make it work with the people they loved. They worked on their relationships and made compromises and talked things out. No one seems willing to do that anymore.
            We seem to live in an age where if the person isn’t instantly happy they demand a fix instantly. People keep forgetting some things take time. But no one wants to wait anymore. They want it now all the time. It doesn’t work like that in life all the time people. Sometimes you have to wait whether you like it or not. And believe it or not it does pay off greatly. There is a lot of history to show this to be true. Just remember how happy your grandparents were.
            I’ll get down off my soap box now, and this post really did start off nicer than it seems to have turned out. Ah well. Feel free to leave comments letting me know what you think of my views. For now I am headed to get some coffee since I have not had any yet this morning. *Tips his hat and walks out the door towards the coffee brewer.*

1 comment:

  1. My first marriage ended in divorce for a myriad of reasons I'll not hijack your post to detail. I do want to be married again. I do want a forever marriage. Nobody lives a love song. It's something BOTH parties have to work at. My grandparents have been together for a long time. They got married as teenagers and are in their 70s. They've been through many trials and tribulations. I want someone who takes "for worse" seriously. In the meantime, I will wait patiently. That's hard for me. I want to skip right to happy ever after...

    ReplyDelete