Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday In The Library: Nightmare Magazine

    Good Morning and welcome to hump day. It feels good to be back in the library and feeling like my old self. All be it running on little sleep since I have a friend coming over early this morning. That is part of the reason I'm getting this out early and the other reason is I have a 2PM appointment that I cannot miss. So if this gets put out late in the end that is why. But I'm working on it early in hopes of getting it out early. And since we talked about one of the magazines I read last week it got me thinking about talking about the rest of the magazines I read as we stroll each week through the library.

    This week we are looking at Nightmare Magazine edited by John Joseph Adams. It's an e-magazine so you have to have an ereader in order to get it. Though as I've written about before on here they do have special issues you can get in paperback format. Every month we are welcomed to the magazine with a note from the editor. In in there are announcements made about the magazine and authors who have written in it that are up for awards and such. We also get a small peek at what to expect as we dive deeper into the issue.

    Throughout each issue are stories and novelettes as well as samples from novels. Plus we get book reviews and author interviews. All in the realm of horror. So far nothing I have read in the magazine has scared me like Stephen King, but there are some nice creepy tales in the magazine. I also like the interviews they do with authors in the magazine, giving us a deeper look into the minds of horror writers. Plus they do tackle trends in horror as well in a column titled The H Word.

    I have become a bigger fan of horror because of this magazine, and wish Hollywood would take some cues from it. Some of what Hollywood is putting out for horror is not in touch with true fans of the genre. I do hope you will check out Nightmare Magazine in some form or fashion. It is a wonderful magazine and a great read that is hard to put down. I'm looking forward to reading it during thunderstorms this summer. For now though I need more coffee to help me wake up more. Might I suggest a journey into the magazine section of the library. *Tips his hat and walks out the door looking for more coffee.*

No comments:

Post a Comment