Thursday, April 9, 2015

Wednesday In The Library: Piers Anthony


Running late again folks. Would have been more on time but had to do cleaning today for maintenance to come in tomorrow to look at the windows for some reason. Really just a big pain in the ass if you ask me. But today in the library we will be talking about one of my favorite authors of all time, Piers Anthony. He is one of the reasons I'm the reader I am today.
He is known for his Xanth Series, Geoddyssey Series, Bio Of A Space Tyrant Series, Adept Series, Incarnations Of Immortality Series, and many more. He is in his eighties now and shows no signs of stopping writing anytime soon. I swear he will pass away finishing a book on his computer. When he started out writing he was working on a typewriter and gradually got into the computer world. Though he still hand wrote everything for the longest time. Now he does almost all of his writing on computer.
He has shared his joys and tragedies with his fans through his monthly newsletter at hipiers.com. And in the author's note at the back of his books for years before the internet came out. It has been and continues to be a privilege to be a part of his journey through life. I think that might be how I got interested in sharing my thoughts and views along with my life in general with all of you.
It was his Xanth book Demons Don't Dream that got me back into reading when I had fallen off the reading wagon when I was younger. Then I just gobbled up his books left and right. It led me to other fantasy writers though none were quite like him. Though I found some other favorites eventually. I also found fanfiction through Xanth. I was never able to write any, but I enjoyed reading the ones I found. I continue to read him to this day, letting him take me back to younger days.
When I read his Geoddyssey Series history opened up in a whole new way for me. I was suddenly immersed in these cultures and living through events that happened. It was amazing seeing people in these cultures brought to life before my eyes. Granted there were some long chapters that got to me but I soldiered on through them and even enjoyed them at points.
Pier Anthony is one of the few classic Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers still alive and writing. I recommend everyone to check him out, especially those who look for more of the classics in Science Fiction and Fantasy though he is also new age in those markets as well. He is a true living legend. I hope you have all enjoyed the trip to the library today. I think I'm just going to stay up and try to fix my sleep pattern so it is off to find coffee for this writer. *Tips hat and walks out the door in search of coffee.*

No comments:

Post a Comment