Saturday, October 31, 2015

Saturday Thoughts: Memories Surfacing



            Some would say it is too early for deep thinking, but my brain never chooses when to think deep thoughts and when not to. I know it is not Thursday but the memories are surfacing now so now is the best time to handle them. Especially since they are so emotionally charged. And they are not bad memories. As you know I grew up isolated so I was the awkward kid in elementary school. I even had my first crush at 5. I know I’m weird. I left Gorham during what some used to call the Junior High years. And went to Portland for middle school. I fit in better there after adjusting, but I was still not the in kid. I don’t think I was ever meant to be. My first girlfriend would only talk to me on the phone and never be seen in public with me since we weren’t in the same social groups.
            But then I met Maria sitting on a bench one day and I walked her home and we just talked. Which somehow I have this natural flirt thing in me. I don’t know it just exists since the next day I was told I had been flirting with her by her older sister. Soon after that we got together. She was my first everything basically. But she also helped me learn how to fit in. And at other times she let me just be me. Over time I have found the right balance for being in public. I still remember nights when we had both run away when we would just lay together talking about life. So what brought this all back to me you might be asking.
            Going to the movies yesterday and sitting in the back row. As teenagers that was our row. Where we would make out during the movie. It was out private space away from everyone else in a sense. But despite all the emotions resurfacing and memories coming back to me it doesn’t make me change my mind about Ashley I am still betting on a future with her and her kids. I’m not going down to visit her for Thanksgiving when we initially planned. Instead I am going down around February when bus fares are more reasonable. I am pretty sure things will click in person and she is worried they might not. And I understand that as well as her other fears. She hasn’t had an easy life.
            But I am willing to walk through the hell fires for her. I enjoy our talks about the future and life goals as well as just life in general. How open we can be with each other. It has been a long time before I have felt I can be that way with anyone. I think I am finally journeying towards my own happiness. It will take some work sure and some compromise but I am sure it will be a happy ending in the end. For once I don’t have to wear a mask and it feels good. I can be the vulnerable me which is hard to do. It has gotten me hurt a lot. So I built up a wall around me for a long time and now it has come down. That is hard to do for anyone.
            I’ll never be the type who really goes out to a bar unless it is a quiet bar. And even then it will just be for a drink with friends and talking. I’m not the strip club type of guy because I don’t see the point in it. I’m not the mixing and mingling type of guy unless introduced, except on the bus for some reason. The bus seems to be the one place I will always start up a conversation. Sure I go places and do things but I have my own closed group for the most part and meet people through others in general. I’m just shy basically. Unless I already know someone from online than the shyness isn’t as bad. Online I can be me and vulnerable because I have confidence in my words more. Because they are written instead of spoken. And once I have confidence built up I can do better in person. Not sure if any of this makes any sense.
            But it is a deeper look into me. But I think I have rambled on long enough for another day. As always leave your comments and questions below. And if you don’t want to miss a post enter your email address above to get posts in your inbox. As for me I’m going to surf around Facebook for a while, but first I need a drink. *Tips his hat and walks out the door heading towards the kitchen. *

No comments:

Post a Comment