Monday, October 12, 2015

Monday Beginnings: Starting To Come To Terms



            I apologize for there being no column yesterday got wrapped up in a family BBQ and was worn out afterwards. Though this morning has been no picnic either as I have had to look in the mirror and realize that I was a victim of childhood abuse. Nothing sexual. But it was still abuse beyond even what I already recognized. All this time I just blinded myself with saying I was brought up strict. It is hard to type and will be harder to face in therapy but I will get through it. Because not only am I a victim I am a survivor. I apologize for not warning you of the hard content of today’s column beforehand but I had to get it out and this is not going to be an easy one to write or a pleasant one to write. You may have to wait till next week for that double posting with the book review.
            As some of you know I live with my grandparents when I was young. And I had great times with my grandmother whose only crime is standing by and being a bystander in all of this. My grandfather had me and my dad sleeping in the top of the house he had that was not adequately heated by any stretch of the imagination. Hell the floors got so cold they had to put down thin rugs and I couldn’t even bear to stay up there and play barely other than in spring and fall. Cause it was either too hot or cold. He could have put us in the basement or at least me since my dad was sued to that sort of sleeping condition. But he didn’t.
            I was treated like I was in the military by him getting yelled at for stepping out of line in the least little bit. I would get hit if that didn’t work. When I was really young there was hair pulling as well. My grandmother once sat on me but I was way out of control at that point lost in one of my manic rages and she had no other way to control me at that point. But this was hitting for stuff like not picking up your toys. I was forced to sit at the table till I finished everything on my plate even if it went past my bedtime. Made to be as quiet as a mouse after dinner so the adults could watch their shows after dinner. Till I started watching them too.
            That doesn’t count the isolation or the way the whole neighborhood was looked down upon by him. How no one was ever good enough for his family. How we should just be an island unto ourselves unless he approved of a family. Well I refuse to live that way and I refuse to be quiet about it anymore. And the only reason he gets to see my son at all is cause the State lets him and because my dad’s fiancée, Pam is around and I know she will keep my son safe from abuse. My dad inherited yelling and spanking though not so much the isolating from my grandfather. He is trying to be a better human being after what he went through. But it is hard to come to terms with that type of abuse when you are an adult.
            Especially when you are not a fan of counselors. My dad’s side of the family can hate me now I don’t care. They won’t keep me from seeing my son when the time is right. That is between me and my son and the adoptive parents who are welcome to contact me anytime. But I cannot stay quiet anymore. I’m tired of being told to be quiet and that my views don’t matter. I am tired of being looked down upon by my own family. I have had enough and I am not going to take it anymore. They preach you have to love everyone. Well they are wrong because I don’t have to love the person who hurt me and refuses to admit any mistakes were made.
            Me and my dad are working on repairing our relationship. And hopefully after this we still be. But I’m not being quiet anymore. That is what got me to this point. I am standing up for myself and taking back my life. I know counseling and dealing with all of this is going to be hard. Not as hard as some have it but still hard. At least my dad admitted he had made mistakes along the way and tries to make up for it with my son. And I am going to make myself whole again no matter how hard the counseling sessions are.
            As always feel free to leave questions and comments below. Me, I need a cup of coffee and some time to digest this a bit since you got it raw. Hopefully you will get a book review later. And hopefully later and tomorrow I will be more cheerful. *Tips his hat and walks out the door, punching a hole in the wall as he does as he heads for the brewer. *

No comments:

Post a Comment