Sunday, October 25, 2015

Saturday Thoughts: Gun Control Yet Again



            As the title says this is not going to be a nice happy column today. But on a lighter note I got my phone case today only to find out it doesn’t fit. My fault for not making sure it was the exact model of my phone when I ordered it, but it looked great. So if you are looking for a phone case and they have your model check out Designs By Humans. I have an editor looking over my Christmas story before I submit it for publication as well. But should make the deadline no problem. I’m looking forward to it and find myself as giddy as the first time I was published if not more so. Now onto the heart of today’s column.
            Whether anyone wants to admit it or not there have been far too many mass shootings nevermind shootings period. And after everyone people call for action but all anyone in power does is sit on their hands and do nothing. It is time we tell the people in power to either do something or give up their power. I’m not talking about talking about taking everyone’s guns away. After all there are responsible sane gun owners who shouldn’t be punished for what the criminally minded or insane do. And despite what the NRA will tell you more guns are not the answer either. It is changing the culture around guns.
            First we have to get people to stop treating them as an entitlement and more as a privilege. So they value it more and act more responsibly with their guns. Look at Canada they have more guns but they do have people walking around acting recklessly with them like we do. They also have gun ranges where people act responsibly and civilly instead of like teenagers trying to one up each other.
            Second we need to do both criminal and psychological background checks on people regularly that own guns. Since mental illness can come up at any time. And people who have mental illnesses associated with violence at all can’t get a gun and lose the guns they have. Though they will be reimbursed for the guns that are taken from them fairly. If they get better they can get guns again, but until then no guns. And criminals involved in violent crime shouldn’t be allowed to get gun either should be the measuring stick for that. Since some felonies don’t involve violence that shouldn’t be the measuring stick anymore.
            Third and this is really my main stressor in this whole argument aside from number two. We need to start treating each other more humanely. Stop blaming each other for our own problems. And start helping our fellow human beings more. Treating them like we would want to be treated in their position. Instead of treating them like they are some sort of villain that deserves to be exterminated as we do now a days. It is just plain despicable the way we act towards our fellow human beings in this country.  And then we wonder why these bad things happen in our country. A big part of it is how we treat each other.
            I’ll get down off my soap box once more, but I am sure I will be getting back up on it on this topic again unfortunately. As always feel free to leave comments and questions below. And don’t miss a post ever click that follow button. As for me I am going to work on my rough draft for my final project for Political Science. *Tips his hat and walks out the door towards the study. *

No comments:

Post a Comment