Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesday In The Library: A Big Thank You To All Those Who Read To Me

    I'm finally awake on a Wednesday morning, and it feels great. Still have yet to get my coffee, but that will come at some point as I am writing this column. I'm still a bit behind this week. The days just seem to get away from me somehow, and then night time comes and I have little motivation then. I'm working on figuring out how to work around this. Maybe it is just drinking more coffee. But today we are in the library finally giving a big thank you to so many that I wanted to three weeks ago.

    First starting with my grandmother who would read to me every morning at the breakfast table. She started out reading the Dallas O'Neil sports adventures and then went to the Dallas O'Neil mysteries. I ate them all up even as I was doing my own reading in those years. Both series are designed around Christian morals and values but they are both well written still. And my grandmother read them well in my opinion. She is the first I remember reading to me. She even read to me at breakfast when I started school, which made me make sure to get up extra early for it.

    Next go to the librarians all through elementary school who read to me and the rest of my classmates I know it meant a lot to me and I'm sure it did to the rest of my classmates. It started a great love for the library with me. I was constantly checking out books from the library and magazines as well. I rarely if ever had anything checked back in late, and it all started with librarians reading to me.

    We follow that up with the teachers all through elementary school who read to me and my classmates when we didn't go to the library. It kept being read to a regular thing in school. Plus it kept us all engaged in one story even as we all had our own stories we were off reading. I can't say I remember all of them, but I remember at least some of them. Whether we were all sitting around the teacher or sitting at our desks we looked forward to when the book came out.

    One other one from before school ever started is Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow, which I watched everyday on television. It gave me different kinds of stories everyday on television to hear told to me and I never had a problem seeing the pictures. It helped me greatly at seeing the diversity in the world. It was like a window into the world for me, before I went out into the world. So in a sense you can say I always had two stories times up until I hit middle school. Then I was on my own full time. Which by then felt good.

    I hope you have enjoyed my small way of giving thanks to all those who got me into reading by reading to me when I was young. Feel free to leave your thanks to those who helped you get into reading if you want or just a special memory that helped get you into reading below in the comments. As for me that cup of coffee is long overdue so I am off to get it. *Tips his hat and walks out the door towards the brewer.*

No comments:

Post a Comment