Thursday, November 5, 2015

Thursday Throwback: Dating



            I do apologize for there being no post yesterday I passed out halfway through writing it. Just one of those days. But allowed me to get an earlier start on the day today. Although I didn’t get ahead in my school work like I wanted to last night, but the week is still young. Tonight I will be working on my final paper. Today I also plan to get out and do some people watching before my counseling appointment. Maybe do some writing while I’m at it. I know I will be all morning long for the most part. I’m looking forward to vacation coming up. Still no clue what I am doing on Thanksgiving Day but I will figure something out. But I was having a conversation with a friend of mine last night and it reminded me of my teen years once more as well as what we used to do for dating.
            Now growing up in Portland I had a taste of the poor life. And I didn’t mind it since it was more freedom for me. But you don’t mind it for only so long. I’m reaching the end of my rope of not minding it, but not in a bad way. Just in a way of wanting to have better and working on getting better, but I digress. Back as teens we didn’t have many options for places to go on dates or things to do as couples. So we normally sat around talking and when parents weren’t around or we were allowed to be in our rooms unsupervised we made out a lot.
            When we did have money we went to the movies or out to local places. Now and then we went out to the mall. We sometimes would go to a placed called The Barking Squirrel after school when I was in middle school. It isn’t around now like it used to be but it was a nice little place. Especially in the winter when it was cold out and they would have a fire inside and you just didn’t want to go home. We hung out in parks together after school. I would walk my girlfriend home before going home. That was how I met my second ever and best girlfriend ever so far. I found her sitting on a bench all alone one day on my way home from school and walked her home.
            Most dates were to the movies though and we would sit in the back and make out. So I have missed some movies. But it was worth it even to this day. As I’ve been told I was sweet and innocent back then. I’m still just as sweet but with more of a backbone I’d like to think. I didn’t like going to the movies alone before I started dating and don’t like going to the movies anymore since I started dating. But I can handle it when there is no one to go with. And I’ve always been a spoiler even if it was just with poetry or little notes. I tried my best as a teen to make my girlfriend feel special.
            I mean that is what a guy is supposed to do in my opinion. You want them to feel special and loved because they are. And it should never stop. There is always time to stop and pick some flowers or pick up some flowers. There’s always a few minutes in a day to write a short little note to them possibly with a poem attached. Or leave a voice mail to let them know you are thinking about them.  Showing love is not just for Valentine’s Day, that is just the day you go overboard with it. So if you are reading this and have someone special give them a ring or send them a special text or email and let them know you are thinking of them.
            You’ll be surprised how much they will appreciate it. As for me I still have some work to do. So as always feel free to leave questions and comments below. And if you don’t want to miss a post at all put your email up in the subscribe box. I’m off to get another drink before doing more writing though. *Tips his hate and walks out the door towards the kitchen. *

No comments:

Post a Comment