Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tuesday Insights: Teachers



            It’s been a pretty good day overall today. Got the book review done that I missed doing last night done, but you will have to wait till next week to see. And I’ve got a good head start on my studies for the week. Plus, had a good conversation with one of my professors. Both of my professors have been extremely accommodating in helping me understand the material and get off to a good start this term. And have been good inspirations for me as I think about going into teaching.
            But I was thinking the other day about what makes a good teacher in the 21st Century. Especially since I want to go into teaching on the collegiate level someday. So I got to thinking what worked well for me when dealing with teachers being as stubborn as I am. And for the fact that I can be challenging beyond just my stubbornness. I just never gave respect automatically; it was always earned with me.
            So I figure thinking about teaching in the 21st Century I have to take students that will be like this into account. So instead of asking students to be respectful maybe teachers should request students to be civil. I know it’s not the same thing as respectful, but you get a better chance of having students comply. Plus, I find that asking students with please and saying thank you gets much better compliance. And I know people are going to say that school is to get students ready for going out into the work force and you can’t expect your boss to say please and thank you and ask for you to do stuff.
            To that I say maybe production would be up if bosses took the time to use an asking tone as well as say please and thank you. It makes employees feel more like human beings and more appreciated. So that they will work harder for you. Being nice will go a long way with a lot of employees. Sure there will always be a few bad apples that will slack off with this approach. But they were going to slack off in the first place.
            But going back to teachers another thing that will help is having a basic idea of how technology works. And I’m not talking just the classroom technology. I mean all technology in general. That way you have a good idea what your students are talking about when they are talking about technology. Or when they are asking if a classroom computer can do something you know what they are talking about and can answer the question constructively.
            Plus, it helps if teachers show interests in students outside projects that tie into what they are learning. It can provide motivation for students to work harder for that teacher on what the teacher wants in order to get their outside work looked at. This way you are getting the lesson through to the student while encouraging them in their own learning, which teaches them more in the long run.
            Now this is just my opinion as I am thinking of it. But please do leave comments and questions below so we can discuss it more. And if you want my posts to appear in your inbox everyday enter your email in the box below where it says follow by email. As for me I am going to do a little more studying since I have the extra time to do so. *Tips his hat and walks out the door headed for the study. *

No comments:

Post a Comment