Friday, February 19, 2016

Rambling Friday: Discovering A Local Writing Group



            Well it is one of those nights once more where I can’t sleep, though not from insomnia. In this case it is just from being pumped up from a writers’ workshop I attended tonight. Well last night now since it is after midnight. Everyone was so welcoming and accepting. Offering advice freely and taking comments where I could put them in during the critiques. It was so open and friendly it felt so wonderful. It was like the old days of the original writers’ group I had been part of online, but alas it fell apart due to drama as well as lack of solid leadership.
            Here I get a sense of strong leadership, but it not being overbearing. As well as everyone being on good terms with everyone along with welcoming more people to join. I find it to be a healthy atmosphere for writing in general. I left the meeting tonight feeling empowered and excited for more meetings to come. And in general anxious to go home and write more along with studying more for school. But it helped get the verbal juices flowing so that I could work better on the studying I had to do tonight.
            And after I finish with this column I will most likely turn my attention to the short story whose deadline is fast approaching. I’m finding myself more motivated after tonight and finding more of a place for myself in the world locally as well as another outlet to be out and about. I do admit I was getting sore sitting for the full two hours since I work in more relaxed conditions normally, but I toughed it out. One thing I forgot to tell the group was that I have Epilepsy.
            Though I have been gramaul seizure free for two going on three years now I still should have mentioned it to them just in case the unexpected should have happened. And I feel bad about not mentioning it in hindsight. Granted my mother was there and would have known what to do and would have explained. But I should have spoken up in the first place. Even if they read this I will make it a point of doing so at the next meeting I attend.
            And the people at Falmouth Memorial Library were very gracious hosts, letting us stay after close as long as we locked up after ourselves. That was so kind of them. Rumor has it that it is not so nice in Scarborough. But that is rumor and speculation on my part. But being at this workshop reminded me of my high school days of getting to school early to meet with my friend in the cafeteria to discuss writing.
            Everyone was lighthearted and open minded. Ideas were flowing freely and openly. It felt amazing and had me feeling inspired like I haven’t been in a while. Not for lack of my friends trying. And they have gotten me going in the studying department. But I miss the old meetings where ideas flowed freely and everyone was lighthearted most times. Or at least I took it that way. Tonight I felt a sense of comradery that I have missed. And it got me trying to bring live back into some of the other groups I am part of.
            I am alive more than before and I plan to continue being that way as best as I can. And as always I welcome questions and comments below. And if you want my posts to appear in your inbox enter your email in the box below where it says follow by email. As for me I plan to work till I pass out. *Tips his hat and walks out the door grabbing a Red Bull as he heads for the study once more. *

1 comment: