Friday, January 1, 2016

Throwback Thursday: New Year’s Eve



            Yes, New Year’s Eve is upon us. So if you have not made your resolutions and plans for the new year I would get thinking about it. My resolutions and plans are made and start tomorrow morning. So I won’t be staying up too late tonight, just long enough to ring in the new year with friends and family. For those planning to drink tonight have a plan and don’t drink and drive. I don’t want any of my readers hurting themselves or someone else potentially. This year I will be staying in and having a couple of drinks and some take out as well as spending time with friends.
            But I have gone out before on New Year’s Eve and it is not easy getting around without a car. And unless you have someone else to go out with it is not much fun. Then again it really is never fun eating alone. It is always nice to have someone to talk to at the table. But still with the weather the way it is right now I would rather stay curled up inside with friends than go outside. Plus, there is a chance of a surprise couple of guests coming over tonight. It’s a long shot but still it would be nice if they made it.
            Most nights growing up if I was at my mother’s house there would be some platters or pizza and people would stop over and hangout as we watched the show from New York. We would also play video games and watch movies as well throughout the night. But as the time for the ball to drop drew nearer we would stay tuned to the television. Then watch as it dropped and watch some of the after party. I’d usually sneak being up a couple hours after since I wasn’t tired at that point still. But eventually I would drift off to sleep.
            At my dad’s it was a different story. We would get take out or eat out that night sure. But when my normal bed time came it was bed time. No ifs ands or buts about it. I’d still stay up listening to the radio for the countdown though. As I got older I snuck a light on in my room for a little extra time and read while listening to the radio. It was nice and helped foster my love of reading. Back then I was stuck on the classics though I don’t remember why.
            Over the years New Year’s Eve has changed and been the same in some ways. Some years I am with my mom and doing the usual. Sometimes I am by myself or have friends over. Other times I am at friends’ houses. The past couple of years I have been at home with friends online who are like family to me. And that has been greatly dear to me and it is something I hope continues no matter how busy we may get with our lives. That at least once a year we come together and have a night of drinks and laughter and sharing. Even if it is just over the computer it still means a lot.
            But it is getting late and I am sure everyone has had a long day and night. I hope you will share your resolutions along with any questions and comments below. And as always if you want my posts to appear in your inbox enter your email address in the box below where it says follow by email. As for me I am going to enjoy the rest of the night with my friends who are definitely family. Happy New Year everyone. *Tips his hat and walks out the door back to the party. *

1 comment: