Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wednesday Coffee: Given A Bit More Hope




            I was given hope in people once more Monday when I saw a video on bullying. It showed people actually standing up for a young kid being bullied instead of just standing by and doing nothing. It was inspiring and we need more people to do this. No more of this, kids will be kids. And, no that doesn’t mean hate on the bullies either they are most likely suffering from low self-esteem. But, confront them on their behavior and when they see it is wrong show them a different path.
            It is not about stomping the bully down in shame because that is another form of bullying as well. We have to lift the bullied out of obscurity as well as change the bully so that they don’t feel the need to bully. As most of you once know I was bullied and fought back against all bullies. That approach didn’t work too well. It was a short term solution to a bigger problem. And while my bullies matured not all bullies do.
            We want bullies to grow up to be productive members of society and not just adult bullies as some do. Getting to the root of why a bully is a bully is essential to them growing up to be a more peaceful individual in the long term. Some of the causes have been seen as low self-esteem, relatives that display a bad message to them, media messages that deliver a bad message to them. And, there are more being discovered every day.
            I can’t point my finger and say this is the definitive cause for sure. Each individual case of bullying is a case by case situation. And, one has to tackle it that way. But, it can’t be just let to happen. Nor should the victim be blamed as has happened in some cases. No one asks to be bullied and blaming them for being bullied is saying just that. This is the 21st Century I would have figured by now we would have stamped out bullying and become more enlightened than we have been acting so far in this century.
            This problem though cannot just be approached by stranger and the victims. Parents and administrators have to get involved as well as the mental health community to try and help. The whole community as a whole need to step up as I have called for before. Kids both bullies and bullied are our future. And, some of them are going to be in nursing homes taking care of us someday. Now that you have digested that thought, wouldn’t it be better to address the bullying mentality while they are young.
            I know I think it would than wait till they get older and harder to manage as well as more set in their ways. But, I will step down off my soapbox for now. And, I do have more hope for humanity despite the lecture. Feel free to leave your questions and comments below. And, if you want my columns to appear in your inbox enter your email address in the box below where is says follow by email. As for me I am off to do some reading. *Tips his hat and walks out the door. *

1 comment: