Saturday, May 14, 2016

Saturday Coffee: I’m Going To Be Focusing On Amistad For A Bit



            Yes, as the title of today’s blog says I will be focusing on Amistad for a bit in the columns going forward. I’ve let the community that I have been a member of for 16 years turn towards the wrong direction. And, let people who I consider friends go without the support they deserve. And, it is time to make amends for that. Time to make it right and fix what has gone wrong. Time to go back and do what I know needs to be done.
            I’m not afraid either and not nervous about burning out. I’m not the same man I was when I walked away. I’ve become stronger like I know I needed to become. It makes sense to me now. All of us need a sabbatical from Amistad now and then, but eventually it needs us to come back. To make sure it stays the course of what it was founded to do. To do what it helped accomplish with us. It gave to us and at some point it asks that we give back to it. And, now is my time to give back.
            We all have institutions that have given to us when we were down, and we should give back to them when we are stronger. Not just in money either that is not what I mean. But in time and with our wisdom and support. To help a new generation become stronger like a generation before us did for us. There are always places to fill in and help out to share wisdom and experience. You can always find a way to inspire the next generation as they are coming up.
            And with what I am planning to do I will get more experience for my resume, yes. But, that is not the reason I am going back. I am going back because I feel I am needed. So, I am answering that call, that pull I feel. And, at the same time it is a place of rejuvenation for me. It stimulates my brain and my spirit. In a sense it is my church of sorts. It is hard for me to define because of the impact it has had on my life.
            And, I want it to be able to have that lasting impact on others’ lives as well. I want them to feel that sense of bonding that I felt from this place and the people in it. It started even before I walked in the doors. I used to sit up on Longfellow Square with some of the members after hours and listen to them when I was 17, before the cops started running them out of there. I was sitting under the learning tree even then.
            I think that is a tradition I might try to start up again and work with the cops so that we can do it in peace. I know a few members that would like that. And, it would mean more walking for me, which would be good for me. I know there I go again getting ahead of myself. First start with going to and from Amistad, and getting that into habit first. Then let the rest start to fall into place if it is going to.
            So, many memories connected to members of Amistad though we have other names for it than that. But, I won’t reveal those here, those are for us to have. Nothing against my you, my readers, it’s just a community thing. But, I did want to let you in a little of the way. Getting to know the older members at Amistad has come with a price attached to it for me. I’ve had to bury a lot of lose friends that were more than friends, but I would still do it all over again. That is how much their friendship was worth to me. And, over the next several Thursdays I will be letting that pain out that I have kept bottled up for so long.
            But, on a happier note in those times I have been lifted by the community as a whole. And, I have been part of some interesting parties. It is always interesting to see what everyone will dress up for Halloween. But, I have rambled enough for one day. Feel free to leave questions and comments below. And, if you want my columns to appear in your inbox enter your email address in the box below where it says to follow by email. As for me I am going to get back to the endless schoolwork. *Tips his hat and walks out the door. *

No comments:

Post a Comment