Saturday, May 21, 2016

Saturday Coffee: Throwback to How Amistad Used to Be



            I know this is late, but it is part two of Wednesday’s posting and an extremely rare Saturday throwback. I figured if I am going to talk about how Amistad should be going forward I should also talk about how it was as well. It was a safety net when I was falling and helped save me when nothing seemed to be able to. I was in free fall and out popped this net called Amistad to save me.
            Originally Amistad was meant only for the mentally ill as a semi-private social club. It was there for us to come and support each other in our recovery as well as have activities to do to help increase the fun in our lives since most of us were on disability. Plus, there was some vocational rehab going on, mostly in the kitchen and dining room. As well as at the front desk with the clerical staff.
            I was one of the first young members to come in in a long time, so most of the members were much older than me at the time. I was fine with that since I had always gotten along better with older people for the longest time. I made friends with many of them and sat under the learning tree learning how things worked as well as about them.  It was there that I slowly learned patience and to cool my temper.
            Slowly older members left as younger members came in and I felt that the younger members lost out on the mentoring I had been given. Partly because they didn’t want to listen as I had been so eager to. It came more of a flop and less known for what it had been known for when I first heard about it. Yes, I found it when I was 18, but I was hearing about it when I was 16 or 17 not totally sure on the time period.
            A bunch of the members after Amistad would close would hang out in Longfellow Square and chat for hours on end. And, I knowing one of them would be invited to sit as well. And, yes there was talk of drama. But, what I remember hearing most about Amistad back then was about the fun they had. As well as some of the funny things that happened. And, when I first got in there I had a lot of fun.
            But, slowly fun has been stripped away. And, I know the state wants us to be more productive but I want the place to be once more known for the fun and inspiration it used to bring out in people. How people used to look forward to going every day. And, not just for breakfast and lunch. They used to stay the whole day because it was fun and entertaining. Even if they were learning something.
            And, I know I am a dreamer but I am not talking about taking it all the way back. Just in some ways. But, I have gone on long enough for one day. Feel free to leave your comments and questions below. And, if you want my columns to appear in your inbox enter your email in the box below where it says follow by email. As for me I’m not sure what I am up to next. But, I will find something as always. *Tips his hat and walks out the door. *

No comments:

Post a Comment