Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Wednesday In The Library: Challenged Books



            First to start off with today is a milestone today. Today is the 300th post and we have passed 10,000 views on the blog. I am so thankful to all of you for all your visits to the blog. Without you this wouldn’t have been possible. And, I plan to try to give you more hard hitting content as well as more entertainment as best as I can. As well as more access to me. And, today is no exception as we will be talking about challenged books.
            Challenged books are books that are attempted to be banned or removed from public libraries. It happens multiple times a year. And, it is unconstitutional. Books are protected under both Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech. But people continue to think that if they don’t like a book they can just challenge it. There is only one book I have heard of that could be banned under the obscene laws and that is a book that is basically child rape fantasy. And, yes it was actually written and banned in Europe. I don’t remember the title but I only heard about it through a podcast called, Book Riot, which is dedicated to news on books and reading.
            Now I’ve read books I don’t like as I am sure you all have as well, but I wouldn’t challenge any of them. And, that is for the simple reason that I think everyone has the right to read a book and make up their mind for themselves. Reading is a personal journey and not everyone has the same taste. Just like with cuisine. Some like spicy food and some like more sweet or salty dishes.  Books are just as much treasure troves.
            We all find our own treasure in certain books. And, everyone deserves to find their own treasures wherever they may be found. Their own adventures and escapes. To explore their own words of choosing or topics of choice. Just because we don’t like something doesn’t mean we should block it in almost every case except for the one I mentioned above. Reading opens our minds to knowledge, which leads to wisdom.
            And, wisdom is hard to achieve other than through pain or wisdom. But, books over a third road that can be accessed quicker. And, everyone deserves to access wisdom. It helps one get further in life. Which we all want in this lifetime. And, everyone has a path to walk in this lifetime that they have to find. And, if reading can help them find it who are we to deny them that. We should be encouraging them to read not discouraging them just because we don’t approve of a book.
            I will say that all books are not age appropriate at some point and time. But, by the time a person reaches high school that problem should not apply. High schoolers should be able to handle any sort of material presented to them in literature. And, if they aren’t it is because the parents have raised them too sheltered. Now if there are those who might have a psychological issue to the book the teacher needs to be told a head of time, so that the teacher can give a warning to that student privately same with college students.
            I’ll get down off my soapbox for now. But, I am sure I will have to get back on it again on this or another issue at some point. Feel free to leave questions and comments below. And, if you want my columns to appear in your inbox enter your email address in the box below where it says follow by email. As for me I am going to go do some reading both for school and for pleasure. *Tips his hat and walks out the door. *

3 comments: