Friday, August 21, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Working At Beech Ridge



            Morning I’m being hit with insomnia again, so I decided to go with it and made some coffee. I figure hell I can sleep later. Plus I got sucked into Mr. Mercedes once I got to start reading it again. It really is riveting. And I have an itch to do some writing, but alas I have to do some homework before I can get to doing that. But I will get to do what I want soon enough. After all I get to do this every morning, and it makes the rest of the day flow fairly smoothly.  People have been complaining about the heat a lot too, but trust me I know what hot is about.
            I used to work in hot summer afternoons and nights in front of three 350 degree deep fryers. It was hot in there but it was fun. It was back when I was 16 and working out at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway. They had me train briefly in the main concession stand where most people went for their food. Then I was whisked away to the Eastend concession stand. It was much smaller but the comradery there was great. We took a little while to get acquainted, but from then on out it was like family.  I mean sure things messed up every now and then, more like every Saturday night during rush hour.
            But we worked through it granted there was usually some yelling involved. Though that was always in the heat of the moment. We always talked it out afterwards. I always did my best to make sure they were stalked up before the rush hit. Sometimes the rush got ahead of us, it happens. But man I sweat those nights and I went home sore and some nights with food to eat later on. I was one of the few guys in that booth, and some nights it was hell. But I was understanding about it. And sometimes I miss it there, but it has changed from when I had worked there. It’s become more corporate and not has family friendly as it used to be.
            Those were fun times for me, as were my days as a bouncer. But that those are stories for another Thursday. I hope you enjoyed today’s walk down memory lane. Feel free to leave comments about your first job as a teen that you got paid for or what you think of my first job below. For now I am off to get breakfast. *Tips his hat and walks out the door heading towards the kitchen.*  

1 comment:

  1. Loved it and thanks for sharing! Wow intense job schedule. But sounds exciting too!

    ReplyDelete