Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The English Of Politicians

    So I was doing my reading for Intro to Creative Writing, and the book starts talking about there being clutter in writing. Implying in general that there is clutter in the English Language. Now I'm not so sure I agree with this overall, but I will agree with it in the realm of politics at least. Other than that it's just variables on how people want to say things in my opinion.

    After all no two people say the same thing the same way. They each have their own unique way of saying it. And yes I get that the author wants the writer to use their tools to shape the best sentence possible, but to do that the writer must understand the differences in people's way of speaking and thinking in general. The writer must do that in such a way as to not lose their own voice at the same time as well, which can be a tricky accomplishment. I'm still mastering it myself as we speak. One thing I haven't lost though is my voice by far. I'm constantly speaking up and owning my opinions, unlike many politicians.

Yes I'm going there, right into the political theatre. Because they are the ones we see constantly on our TVs and in our newspapers using the English Language the most. There was a time when politicians actually used the word I and said exactly what they meant. Watching old tapes of campaigns and speeches I think it was right up till after Kennedy that the word I was used in this way. I could be mistaken though. Remember I'm a Creative Writing Major not a History Major.

    But they used to say I believe and then say exactly what they believed. Now we get so much double talk, it either means nothing or is almost impossible to figure out what they believe in. Unless of course you untangle it like an algebra equation. *Shivers at the thought of algebra* It's like some sort of art form they have among themselves. I swear we should make it its own official language called politicalese or something similar to that.

    I mean honestly why is it such a crime to have a belief in something now a days in politics. Why are people so against someone who stands for something. It seems like you have to double talk just to seem like you know what you are talking about. I think that being blunt and straightforward is a good thing. But every time a politician is this way they are called egomaniacs or liars or frauds, well you get the idea. And there are times they are in fact these things, but not every single time.

    Instead of a country that says what it believes in we have just become the country that says we are the best and if you don't believe it we'll beat you up and take your lunch money. No one says what they believe in anymore, and the ones who do are called crazy people or don't know what they are talking about. Even I'm guilty of doing this. We'll get more into that when I talk about my views on climate change at another time among other topics.

    On top of making money not a factor in campaigns we should make it so candidates have to state clearly where they stand on issues that are important to voters. None of this double talk, no technicalities with the vocabulary. Just plain cold hard truth about where they stand on the issues. It would clear up some things for voters in my eyes. But that might also lead to other problems as well possibly if voters get too personal with questions unless the law is written properly. Tell me what you think of all this in the comments below, I want to know your opinion. I hope you have enjoyed reading this and have a good night or day depending on when you're reading this. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment