Thursday, June 30, 2016

Wednesday Coffee: Still So Much To Do



            I see a lot of hate and anger in the world and even in the U.S. as I scroll through the news and comments on a daily basis. But, I also see a lot more good and love as well. And, that gives me hope for the future. I know we have a lot of problems in our country and even in the world, but seeing the good that people do when they don’t have to it inspires me every day. Unfortunately, the news doesn’t shine a light on these people enough. I know there is only so much time in a broadcast and so much going on in the world, but maybe a little more good news in the broadcast would help shift the way people act.
            And, yes I know I’ve said the news’s job is to inform and it is. But, it is also its job is also to inform in a way that helps society be better to itself. I’m not talking influencing voting or anything like that outside of laying down the bare facts. I mean sometimes it takes knowing other people are doing good for you to feel like there is a difference worth making. That little spark of inspiration for you to go out and do something.
            With all these attacks around the world I hear calls in general on the internet for everyone to arm themselves. Truth be told I just don’t think I am someone who should have a gun. Maybe someday but that day is not here yet. And, I am not against responsible gun ownership. Just please get some training with the gun and on gun safety. There are some guns I don’t think we need on the streets and people will agree or disagree with me as is there right. I welcome an open and civilized discussion on the subject. But I see too much rhetoric of it having to be all one way or all the other way on the subject when there has to be a sensible compromise.
            After all we have regulation on every other amendment for various reasons. For example, you cannot yell fire in a crowded space when there isn’t one. Nor can you use your religion to discriminate against another person. The police can search with probable cause and even in some cases just a tip provides enough for that but at the same time must read you your Miranda Rights. You have to be 18 to vote as well as enlist in the military. You can’t drive till you are sixteen and have to have a license to do so. And that is just off the top of my head.
            My main point is stop being so polarized on everything. As well as use some common sense about where we stand in the world and what others with less economic power are doing and what we should be doing to raise the bar. I can give a little to get a little. But, I also want people to think about things in terms of how should we be treating our workers as a whole. What message should we as America be sending to the world about how we treat our workers. Now in my opinion I think we should be setting the standards for how workers are treated not making workers want to work elsewhere because they are treated better.
            And gun control was just my example since it is the issue at the fore front right now. As you see I also want common sense used with the economy as well. But trust me I am going to be getting a bit blunter this week as the week goes on about a few things concerning the economy. As well as some other things that might come as a shock to people. And, no not going into any of the way out there conspiracy theories. Those just don’t add up to me so far.
            But I have rambled on long enough for one day. Feel free to leave questions and comments below. And, if you want my columns to appear in your inbox enter your email in the box below where it says to follow by email. As for me I have an overdue paper to write next. And, then some reading I have been waiting to get to. *Tips his hat and walks out the door. *

No comments:

Post a Comment