Monday, August 11, 2014

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone Review

    So we're doing a major flashback with this week's book review. And I know it's a little late and sort of a double post, but I got a bit backed up this week. Plus the previous post was a very important one for me to get posted. So without further ado let us jump right into the book review for this week.

I originally read Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling when the third book in the series had just come out. Then earlier this year I decided to reread it and see how much of my perspective of it had been changed by the movies. To my surprise a lot had been changed. This is a wonderful book that is much more edgy than the movie version leads us to believe if you haven't read the book or haven't read it close to seeing the movie.

The plot is much more dynamic, with multiple little subplots splitting off throughout the book. Some are focused on character development. While others are focused on building up plots to be further developed later in the series. Some of the subplots even go on to redirect into the main plot of the story over time. Now while there are several subplots the plot itself is not hindered by this nor is the pace of the story. The plot moves along at a fairly quick pace actually, making you want to keep turning page after page.

    The characters are a great help in keeping the pace so lively as well. They also each have a distinctive personality. Some work well together, while others go against each other as naturally as fire and water. And some we only get a slight feel for in this book. No matter the case they all feel genuine and very much to be real people. Some have you grinding your teeth and wanting to hit them. Others have you wanting to hug them or laugh out loud. Still others you might want to sit down and have a conversation with.

    Now the setting on the other hand is its own character all by itself. While some of it seems boring and mundane at first. Once the magical world opens up it quickly becomes very lively, bold, and bright. You can see the vast difference between the muggle (non-magical folks for those who don't know) world and the magical world very clearly. Rowling makes you want to reach out and touch everything in this world. She makes you able to picture everything clearly in your mind as well.

    J. K. Rowling has done a wonderful job introducing the Harry Potter series in this novel. She does such a wonderful job so much so that when you finish reading it you are craving the next book in the series as soon as you close the cover on this one. While some would say it's only a children's tale I would remind them that so were The Chronicles of Narnia as well as The Hobbit, and both are now acclaimed reading in adult circles that no one dares to call just a children's tale. J. K. Rowling puts just as much an effort as both in her world building as is done in those works in my opinion. I'm giving Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone five stars out of five stars.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the review Chris! I love this series very much. I did not read the books until after the first three movies were in the theater. I watched the first two on VHS from my old job right before the third one premiered. As soon as I finished watching all three, I simply had to own them all!

    On many of the copies my husband and I had to buy two books because we both refused to wait for the other one to read it!

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete